- Swelling occurs inside the nose one to two (1-2) weeks postoperatively and is temporary unless a cold or allergies are present.
- Crusts and scabs will form.
- Saline nasal spray is used to cleanse and aid in healing.
- Packing and plastic splints may be placed in the nose to reposition the lining, hold the septum in place, and to reduce bleeding and internal scarring.
- Expect some throat dryness and irritation due to mouth breathing.
- Pain medication will be prescribed.
- Avoid products containing aspirin or ibuprofen, which may cause bleeding.
- The packing is usually removed within (24-72) hours after surgery, and is done in the office by your doctor.
- Some temporary discomfort and bleeding are associated with this procedure.
Please call the medical assistant at (304) 340-2205 with any questions or concerns.
For an emergency, dial (304) 342-0124 and press “1” to designate the call as an emergency, and our trained office personnel will respond to your emergency call.